The Western Association of Map Libraries 2014 meeting will be held Wednesday, September 3rd through Saturday, September 6 at UCLA’s Sunset Village.
Hosted jointly by the libraries of UCLA and UCSB, the meeting will provide two full days of programming, along with our traditional business meetings and a fieldtrip.
The cost of registration is $85, which includes lunch on Thursday and Friday.
Schedule of events:
Wednesday, September 3
2pm – 4pm: Executive Board Meeting
4pm – 6pm: UC-Stanford Map Libraries Group meeting
7pm: Early Bird Reception: casual get together at Whiskey Blue, 930 Hilgard Avenue
Thursday, September 4
9am – 3:10 pm: Conference presentations. Lunch will be catered and is included in the conference registration.
3:30 – 5:00pm: Sounding Board. Updates from members and their libraries.
7pm: Banquet at the Westside Tavern, 10850 Pico Blvd.
Friday, September 5
9 – 10am: Committee meetings
10am – 3:30pm: Conference presentations. Lunch will be catered.
3:30 – 5:00: Business Meeting
Saturday, September 6
Field Trip: Hammer Museum, UCLA, 11:00 am.
- David Allen, State University of New York Stonybrook (retired):
“Analyzing Old Maps Using MapAnalyst, GIS, and Adobe Photoshop”
- Daniel Brendle-Moczuk, University of Victoria:
“Fading away: Changing land use by subdividing agriculture land”
- Glen Creason, Los Angeles Public Library:
“The John Feathers map gift: treasure and 800 lb. gorilla”
- Kimberly Durante, Stanford University
“ISO Metadata Management for Geospatial Data”
- Karen Estlund, University of Oregon *cancelled*
“GeoSpatial Linked Data”
- Jon Jablonski, University of California, Santa Barbara:
“History of the Fairchild Aerial Surveys Collection”
- Yoh Kawano, University of California, Los Angeles:
- Susan Powell, University of California, Berkeley
“Using ArcGIS Model Builder to Derive Polygon Bounding Coordinates: A digital Sanborn maps test case”
- John Russell, University of Oregon:
“The Geospatial Digital Humanities”