Executive Board Meeting
April 05, 2022
Call meeting to order: 11:05AM PDT
Officers in attendance: Evan Thornberry, Bruce Godfrey, Matthew Toro, Katherine Strickland
Other attendees: Chrissy Klenke, Amy Work, Chris Thiry
Approval of Minutes from the last meeting:
- March 1, 2022
- Approved via email on March 14th
A. Officer Reports & Check-In
- President (Evan Thornberry)
- UCLA news/situation
- Spoke to Chris T on Friday (last week? Need to check)
- Chris T emailed about updates today and will hopefully provide them soon.
- UCLA news/situation
- Past President (Matt Toro)
- Bought a house! Has allergies!
- Vice President (Katherine Strickland)
- Eyeball stitches!
- Sent out email about planning for next WAML meeting
- Secretary (Kevin Dyke)
- No report (other than dog teeth)
- Treasurer (Bruce Godfrey)
- IRS and Calif franchise tax reports filings complete
- Calif dept of state also filed (good for two years)
- Evan mentioned moving physical address to a physical address at Stanford University. Is currently Lisa Lamont’s home address (former Business Manager), and the move is underway.
B. Actions approved over email by E-Board since Feb 2, 2022 E-Board meeting:
- Minutes approved on March 14
C. Appointed Positions Reports
- 53.2 just dropped on 3/31, need to tweak an article and will resend
- Has access to stats now (finally!) – Thank you, Kevin!
- Nearly 300 views since 3/31
- Still looking for new submissions
- Chris T mentioned opening articles in a new tab? Accessibility issues, other thoughts?
- Kat likes the new tab but not to do it.
- Kevin will investigate and Chrissy mentioned the WAML web group checking into it as well.
- Amy (social media)
- Is there a draft of IB that could be used for posting?
- FB changed to a new platform Meta Business something
- Theorizing about how to highlight ongoing people/work/projects.
- A brainstorming committee would be great for this
D. Updates from task forces, committees, etc.
- Chrisy Thiry
- Talked to Maria (UCLA) about the pending deaccessioning of the historical map collection
- Two spots (open stacks majority of collection ~ %75, split off historical maps (pre-1945) into a locked area of Special Collections)
- The historical collection (60 cases plus Sanborns and vertical files) is in danger of getting booted from SC in June/July (date?).
- Could be moved to Geology Library,
- Maria needs to provide a plan within a week
- At least a third is uncataloged/un-inventoried, mainly due to language
- Three categories: LA area, uncataloged, everything else
- Julie Sweetkind-Singer said UC/Stanford map libs meeting to see what could be done.
- Perhaps WAML could help review the plan and offer suggestions, but we really need to check with Maria
- Maybe a WAML preconference subject could be the sunsetting/decommissioning of map collections
E. Old Business
Elections (Kevin & Matt)
- Call for nominations sent out on March 28th
- End date for nominations is set to April 15th
- None received via form as of April 4.
- Bruce submitted on the 4th! Thanks, Bruce
- Emailing potential folks directly seems to be effective
- ACTION: Evan and Kat will share some thoughts and efforts with the committee
Conference planning (Kat)
- Bruce reached out with more info
- Committee needs to get going with polls/etc
- No response from Hawaii
- ACTION: Evan and Kat will work together to configure WAML conference email
DEI working group (Evan)
- How to execute a group like this without it ending up a performative do-nothing?
- Addressing Collections and/or People
- Making people feel welcome.
- Chrissy – maybe integrating a DEI focused workshop into each conference, or the Education committee’s work? Conference category? Section in conference manual?
- Formalizing code of ethics?ACTION Read and provide additional comments before May 3 meeting.
F. New Business
- No new Business
G. Next Meeting
- May 3, 11:00am PDT
Meeting adjourned: 12:19 PDT