Cartobibliographies & Indexes
Discovery interface to scanned maps of the world at scales 1:50,000 to 1:125,000 ArcGIS Online interface to medium-scale scanned topographic maps at Arthur Lakes Library, Colorado School of Mines
Discovery interface to scanned maps of the world at scales 1:200,000 to 1:253,440 ArcGIS Online interface to large-scale scanned topographic maps at Arthur Lakes Library, Colorado School of Mines
Early Maps of the USDA Soil Survey Series, 1899-1962 – A cartobibliography and indexes of soil survey maps for Alaska, Hawaii, California and the Pacific Northwest including Idaho, Oregon and Washington compiled by Richard Soares at CSU-Chico.
Geologic Atlas of the United States / USGS Folios – Paul Leverenz published an index to the Geologic Atlas of the United States in the March, 1988 issue of the WAML Information Bulletin, Volume 19, Number 2, pages 74-77.
Geologic Map Indexes by Quadrangle Names – Published in the WAML Information Bulletin
- Hawaii – Volume 19, March 1988, pages 64-73.
- Nevada, 1879-1982, A-L – Volume 15, March 1984, pages 197-215.
- Nevada, 1879-1982, M-Z – Volume 15, June 1984, pages 342-361.
- Nevada, 1983 Supplement – Volume 16, November 1984, pages 64-68.
- Nevada, 1984-1985 – Volume 17, June 1986, pages 235-239.
- Ohio – Volume 23, November 1991, pages 6-31.
- Oregon, 1883-1996.
- Utah Geological Survey index for 7.5 Quadrangle maps for additional information.
National Park Service: Park Brochures / Site Bulletins
PDF scans of visitor and scientific documents back to the early 1900’s
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Union List – Digital version of WAML’s Union List of Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps Held by Institutions in the United States and Canada based at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps in the Library of Congress – online holdings, search by city and state
- Checklist – Includes records of all maps, scanned or not
- Introduction to the collection – by Dr. Walter Ristow
Map Librarianship Bibliographies
Alan Edward Schorr, 1977. Map Librarianship, Map Libraries & Maps, A Bibliography: Supplement I. SLA Geography & Map Division Bulletin 107, pages 2-18.
Alan Edward Schorr, 1974. Map Librarianship, Map Libraries & Maps, A Bibliography, 1921-1973. SLA Geography & Map Division, Bulletin 95, pages 2-35.
Current Literature on GIS in Libraries from McMaster University Libraries Lloyd Reeds Map Collection